Thursday 24 February 2011

Miss Haversham Eat Your Heart Out!

a rat curls up in a champagne glass - titled "Rest a Little on the Lap of Life"


When reading the Sunday Times Magazine last week I had occasion to wish (as I often do) that I had been given the task of styling a window display depicting Miss Haversham's wedding breakfast table. If it was the case, I would most definitely be calling upon the talents of Miss Polly Morgan.

I've never been a fan of small furry animals, but I am inexplicably drawn to her art. Maybe it's the bell jars, like the upturned glasses used to trap particularly scary spiders, in any event the threat of 'scurrying' has been removed. Morgan herself attests to the fact that she is seeking surreality rather than naturalism. She thinks "it would be a bit perverse to kill something so you could then try and make it look alive again!"

For Morgan there is a beauty in the fleeting transience of decay - "The beauty of decay has always appealed to me, but it isn't very easy to harness - this is a way of faking it." Like my previous post, here is an artist concerned with capturing a precious moment and freezing it in time.

www.pollymorgan.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment