Thursday 17 March 2011

St. Patrick’s Day Greetings from Ryantown


“You can do a lot with a small brain” is a sentiment that simultaneously makes me smile and gives me solace. Wise words make a healthy appearance in prolific artist, Rob Ryan’s work; who is known for his intricate paper-cut art. It is an art famed for it’s intense skill and patience; hours of painstaking cutting, hunched over a table, scalpel blades aplenty. And yet, Rob’s work is still infused with a wonderful sense of spontaneity, and playfulness. Rob’s hand-holding, ladder-climbing lovers remind me of the scene in Breakfast at Tiffany’s, when Holly Go Lightly suggests they spend the day “doing things they have never done before!”. Which culminates with Holly and her young gigolo friend having a rare old time, running down the street wearing cat masks stolen from the five & dime store.

I have long been a fan of Rob’s and nearly fell off my seat when he called me at work one day to enquire about bespoke envelopes with printed lining paper for one of his VIP clients. With a few of these envelope orders now under our belts I am very pleased to have made it onto Rob’s St. Patrick’s Day list! Above is this years offering and below is last years. I am planning on putting my small brain to work and framing them - but the problem is they are so lovely inside and out! What is a girl to do!? but, add them to box 59 in a series of 200, containing beautiful printed ephemera...


Follow this
link to Rob’s blog where you can read an eloquent account of his love for the paper-cut art form. And, there really is nothing better than hanging out on Columbia Road of a Sunday and having a peek inside Rob’s shop, Ryantown.



"The sea oh the sea, Gradh Geal Mo Croide*. Long my it flow between England and me.
Pity the Scotsman, he'll never be free. But we're surrounded entirely by water"
*"Great Joy of My Heart"

No comments:

Post a Comment